Getafe president Angel Torres has confirmed the club are attempting to land Barcelona midfielder Carles Alena on a loan deal.
Torres was speaking on Onda Cero on Wednesday night and claimed that whilst they have not yet spoken to Alena directly, they have approached the Blaugrana.
A recent report in Cadena Cope states that the midfielder is open to the move to the club who are competing in the Europa League this season, although he has not yet spoken to boss Jose Bordalas.
It was recently claimed in Marca that the Spaniard was ‘the dream’ January signing of Los Azulones, who will be competing against multiple clubs for the signature.
It follows a report in Diario Sport that Alena will be loaned out in the short term with Ivan Rakitic and Moussa Wague also set to exit the Camp Nou, with no arrivals in January.
Celta Vigo are said to be the ‘most dangerous’ rival team in for the central midfielder, while Real Betis and Granada are two others who are said to be interested.
Tottenham are said to be monitoring the possibility of making a move while Italian giants Milan have previously been linked.
The 21-year-old La Masia youth graduate made 27 first-team appearances for the club last season after being promoted from their B team.
However, the central midfielder has been frozen out of action for Ernesto Valverde’s team this summer and has not featured since the opening day of the season – a 1-0 loss at Athletic Club Bilbao.
Alena played the first half of that match before being substituted off and has not featured since, with the club well stocked with central midfielders.
Frenkie de Jong, Sergio Busquets, Arturo Vidal and Artur Melo are the first-choice central midfielders at the club, with Ivan Rakitic also not featuring this season with academy product Riqui Puig also said to be favoured among the Blaugrana staff.