Valencia have beaten West Ham in the race to sign Celta Vigo striker Maxi Gomez with Santi Mina going in the other direction, report Marca.
It had been reported that Los Che are close to sealing a deal which included former Celta forward Mina returning to the Galician outfit as part of the transaction.
On Tuesday, reports now stated that the Hammers have activated the striker’s €50m release clause so only need to agree personal terms with Gomez to finalise the deal.
However, the player was said to prefer to stay in Spain
The Uruguayan striker netted 17 goals in La Liga last season in his first campaign in European football, leading to a series of top European clubs monitoring his progress.
The striker’s contract at the Galician club contains a €50m release clause but Valencia were said to be trying to negotiate to include Mina in a deal plus an upfront fee of €25m.
Mina, 23, scored 13 goals in 45 matches this campaign after hitting 15 goals across 38 games last season – and Los Che are reluctant to see the forward, who they signed from Celta in 2015 for €10m, depart.
Celta swooped for Gomez from Defensor Sporting for just €4m two summers ago but after a prolific start to life in La Liga his form has been questioned in recent months.
The frontman has netted just four times in his last 18 appearances while the Galician club have struggled in the absence of his strike partner Iago Aspas, who struggled with injuries this season
Gomez has hit 30 La Liga goals in 68 starts since joining from Uruguay in 2017.
Barcelona, Tottenham, West Ham and Liverpool have all been linked to the player.