Martinez: ‘Moyes has not worked out’

Real Sociedad defender Inigo Martinez admits that the appointment of David Moyes as boss this season has so far not worked out as planned.

The former Manchester United and Everton supremo took over from the axed Jagoba Arrasate at Anoeta last November with the team lying 15th in the table.

Despite a slight improvement in terms of results, Spain international Martinez concedes it has not been a total success having missed out on a Europa League place, and says he is now looking forward to the 2015-16 campaign.

“It’s true it’s been a mixed season with certainly more negative moments, despite the odd time when things appeared to be going our way,” the 24-year-old told AS.

“The early part was difficult. Then we had a change of Coach when Moyes came in with the aim of improving and changing things, but it hasn’t worked out so well.

“Now we need to look forward as new players will come in during the summer and we’ll need to see, with these new additions, if we can improve and finish higher in La Liga.”

Still disappointed with the 3-0 home loss to Granada at the weekend, Martinez accepts the fans had a right to be upset with the team.

“We went into Sunday’s game in decent form with a positive dynamic and felt we could beat Granada.

“However, the game was terrible for us, both in the first half and second half, and it’s normal the crowd become frustrated.

“The fans get behind us when things are going well and when things are not so good they ask that you do better.

“We played badly at the weekend but we need to be mature enough to take the criticism and the annoyance of our supporters on board,” he conceded.

Tags everton Inigo Martinez Manchester United Moyes