Mel accepts blame for Betis defeat

Real Betis boss Pepe Mel said he accepted full responsibility for his team’s 5-1 mauling at the hands of neighbours Sevilla.

Los Beticos suffered humiliation at the Sanchez Pizjuan as Michel’s men ran rampant with four goals in the opening 45 minutes, and Mel admitted it had been a nightmare derby for his shell-shocked side.

“First of all I must congratulate Sevilla, who were worthy winners, but I accept full responsibility for this defeat. The first half especially was an absolute nightmare,” he told a Press conference.

“Every Coach has a plan but it went wrong in just five or six seconds. I was wrong about everything and I have nothing to reproach the players for, but when I need to make a change after 20 minutes we have failed in something.

“It’s going to be a difficult week. When people say nice things about us we like it, yet when things go badly then that is when we need to be strong and prepare for Saturday’s game, at home to Real Madrid.”

Mel acknowledged that Jose Antonio Reyes’ goal after just 13 seconds had knocked the stuffing out of his players, although he confessed it was a weak excuse.

“The goal conceded so soon was key to things, but there was still 45 minutes left of the half.

“Sevilla came at us right from the kick-off and were much better, but our objectives are very clear and we only play against them twice a year,” he stressed.

Tags Pepe Mel