Mel content with nine-point Betis

Real Betis boss Pepe Mel said he was happy for his team to have taken nine points from 12 following the 1-0 defeat of Espanyol.

A 20th minute goal from defender Paulao proved enough to earn the Andalusians all three points and put further pressure on the beleaguered Catalans, who have only one point to show for their efforts this season.

“I have to be happy with the points we have taken because we have had a very difficult start to the season. There have been new players who have needed to settle in but the nine points and two clean sheets in the last two games have been very important,” Mel told a post-match Press conference.

The Madrid-born Coach commented on Espanyol’s plight after the opening five fixtures and believes Mauricio Pochettino’s men, who sit second-bottom, will soon start to the climb the table.

“They are a team that has taken just one point but they are well coached, work hard, and will start moving forwards.”

However, Mel was not 100 per cent happy with his own players, who he claimed are trying to rush things in their eagerness to get forward into attacking positions.

“This Betis team is not the same one as last year. We did not have to play at such a high tempo and perhaps we are lacking a little patience.

“Last year against Espanyol we were more compact, although they equalised against us in stoppage time, but today we had the chances to have a scored a second. Even so, the result is what it is.”

Mel also revealed that goalscorer Paulao, who had to retire injured during the first half after his header had given Betis the lead, will be out at least a week.

“According to the doctor he will not be ready for the Atletico Madrid game on Wednesday nor the one with Malaga next weekend. His ankle is severely swollen,” he explained.

Tags Pepe Mel