Ansu Fati will not be part of the Spain Under-17 squad for the World Cup later this month, it has been confirmed.
It had been thought that the Barcelona teenage sensation would be selected for the tournament, meaning he would miss up to five weeks of action for the Blaugrana first-team.
Fati – born in Guinea Bissau and who also qualifies to represent Portugal – scored and assisted on his first start for the Blaugrana in their 5-2 win over Valencia last month and his level of performance has generated a great level of excitement.
“We have taken the decision not to include him in this squad,” Spain's youth team sporting director Francisco Hernandez said on Wednesday.
“This was following a wider sporting review in that we consider him in a better position to play with an older category and for that to be the case, he cannot come to the Under-17 World Cup.
“We want him to star for the senior team as soon as possible.”
Spain Under-17 boss David Gordo told Spanish radio Cadena Sertwo weeks ago: “Ansu has the possibility of representing other nations but he has chosen Spain.
“We are doing everything possible for that to happen and we are eager to have him available as soon as possible.”