Barcelona Vice-President Josep Vives has aimed a thinly-disguised jibe at Real Madrid over the sale of Cristiano Ronaldo.
The Portuguese left the Santiago Bernabeu for Juventus for around €100m, but Vives maintained Barca would have done things differently if Lionel Messi had been placed in the same situation.
“I can’t imagine a situation in which Messi doesn’t stay with us,” Vives told assembled media at a Press conference on the club’s pre-season tour of North America.
“I’m already feeling nervous as there haven’t been so many days without football. I can’t imagine the situation happening here.”
Vives, who also acts as the spokesperson for the board, also explained why the Barcelona women’s team travelled in economy on the flight to the States, while the men’s team and the directors travelled in first class.
“We regret there has been some controversy over a simple matter. When the club hired the charter flight it was not expected the women’s team would travel with the men’s team,” he continued. “Those were the seats that were there.
“They travelled in comfort, as they said, and now on any internal flights everyone will travel first class. I think we should value this club’s commitment to women’s sport.
“We believe generating controversy over something like this is trying to attack us.”
Vives also stated he has no regrets over the way in which Barca conducted themselves in the signing of Malcom, who joined up with his new teammates in Portland on Wednesday night.
“We are very relaxed about this signing. We have acted in the correct manner.
“There was agreement between all parties. We can’t feel guilty for having signed a player with his talent,” he added.