Bartra recovering after BVB bus attack

Spain defender Marc Bartra is recovering from surgery to remove debris from his arm after Borussia Dortmund’s team bus was hit by explosives.

The incident occurred as the bus left the Dortmund team’s hotel on the way to Signal Iduna Park for Tuesday’s Champions League quarter-final first leg against Monaco.

The game was called off and rescheduled for Wednesday at 17.45 BST (18.45 CET), while Dortmund confirmed that Bartra broke his wrist and had undergone surgery.

Local police also announced that there had been three explosions near the team bus, apparently hidden in bushes lined along the route.

“There has been an attack with explosives on the team bus,” said the German club’s CEO, Hans-Joachim Watzke.

“The whole team is in a state of shock – you can't get pictures like that out of your head.”

The motives are unclear and police did confirm a letter was found near the site of the incident but that it was being investigated.

“I was deeply disturbed by the explosions which occurred tonight in Dortmund,” said UEFA President Aleksander Ceferin.

“The decision taken to postpone the UEFA Champions League match between Borussia Dortmund and AS Monaco was the correct one since we must always prioritise the safety and security of all fans, team officials and players.

“I would like to express my sincere gratitude to the representatives of the two clubs, the local authorities, and the supporters for their cooperation on the ground.”

Social media was used to ensure Monaco fans wanting to see Wednesday’s match were not stranded as Dortmund supporters opened their doors to give the visitors somewhere to sleep.

Bartra made 103 appearances for Barcelona between 2009 and 2016, winning five La Liga titles and two Champions Leagues.

Tags Borussia Dortmund Marc Bartra Monaco