Cristiano Ronaldo’s agent Jorge Mendes has claimed the Real Madrid star has turned down an offer of €100 million per year from an unnamed Chinese club.
The super-agent was speaking to Sky Sports Italia in an interview published on Thursday night where he said a world record offer had come in from the Far East, but for the player and the club it was a non-starter.
"From China, they've offered €300m to Real Madrid and more than €100m per year to the player," Mendes said.
"But money is not everything; the Spanish club is his life."
The €300m transfer fee would have come close to tripling the world record transfer fee Manchester United paid for Juventus star Paul Pogba earlier this year (€105m), while his proposed salary would have been close to six times what he is currently earning at the Bernabeu.
Carlos Tevez and Oscar are among the talent to move to Chinese clubs this winter, but Mendes ruled out the possibility of this ever being the case for the 31-year-old.
"The Chinese market is a new market," he continued.
"They can buy a lot of players, but then again it is impossible to go for Ronaldo.
"Cristiano is the best player in the world and best ever. It is normal to have some offers.
"He won the European Championship with Portugal. It's like winning the Italian league with Genoa — they were not the favourite."