Robert Fernandez says Barcelona hope to sign a fourth attacker before their first La Liga match of the new season on August 20 against Real Betis.
The technical secretary was speaking after Barca’s 3-2 win against Sampdoria in the Gamper Trophy on Wednesday, which celebrated 25 years of La Blaugrana’s inaugural European Cup, as Lionel Messi scored twice and assisted a Luis Suarez bicycle kick.
“The important thing is that the team are gaining sharpness and minutes,” he said after the game.
“Also no-one was injured, so all [the players] will reach Sunday’s game in Seville well.
“Training camps are always the same. At first, you must accumulate a lot of organic capacity, which requires a lot of physical work, and in the first few League games you run the risk that your players aren’t ready yet, and they can pick up injuries [as a result].
“We’re already playing for trophies [the Supercopa], and we’re in perfect condition.
“We already had an extraordinary squad and I think it’s important to emphasise that and appreciate what we already have.
“[The squad] have many years competing at a high level and winning trophies. We’ve signed young players, who are eager to succeed and are of a high level.
“They join a club where it’s very difficult to play. We expect a lot from them, but we’re very satisfied [with them so far].
“We still have time to close the signing [of a fourth attacker]. The addition of a new player must be well-thought out because it’s very important decision.
“When the time comes, we’ll make a decision. The intention is that they arrive before the League starts.
“[On goalkeepers], we have [our goal] well-covered.”