Juanfran scored the decisive penalty after a marathon shootout between Atletico Madrid and PSV Eindhoven to book a Champions League quarter-final place.

The sides couldn’t be separated either in Eindhoven or Madrid, 180 minutes of regular time not producing a goal, nor 30 minutes added on at Vicente Calderon.

It took until Luciano Narsingh’s penalty, the 15th of the shootout, for anyone to miss, the winger hitting the crossbar.

Juanfran stepped up and converted to put Los Colchoneros in the last eight, a repeat of a year ago when Bayer Leverkusen were dispatched from 12 yards at the same stage of the competition.

Yannick Ferreira-Carrasco got the nod in attack with Antoine Griezmann, Diego Simeone keeping Fernando Torres, Luciano Vietto and Angel Correa on the bench, while Luuk de Jong returned for PSV after suspension saw him miss the first leg.

Phillip Cocu also switched to a back three from the initial encounter and while PSV had good possession, it was Atletico who fashioned the first chance of note.

Juanfran released Koke who found Griezmann with a square ball, but Jeroen Zoet made the block. Diego Godin had the next chance, heading over from a corner, both a recurring theme by night’s end – strong goalkeeping and wasted crosses.

PSV had some promising positions, the best of which was perhaps a right-wing cross that Jan Oblak got a hand to, and then got lucky as the loose ball avoided the on-rushing visiting players.

When Atletico did create another chance of note Zoet was equal to it, a header from Griezmann after Carrasco headed Gabi’s centre back across goal, but the France international was offside anyway.

The Belgium international produced crosses and corners to concern PSV, Jose Gimenez heading one of the latter not far past the post.

Simeone made a statement of intent just before the hour by replacing Augusto Fernandez with Fernando Torres it was PSV who went closest to breaking the deadlock, Jan Oblak getting a touch on Jurgen Locadia’s awkward effort, sending it onto the post.

Filipe Luis had to be well-placed to prevent de Jong heading the rebound into the empty net, then went up the other end and stung Zoet’s palms after cutting inside onto his right foot.

Torres’ eyes lit up after for once getting away from Jeffrey Bruma but as he prepared to shoot, ex-Espanyol man Hector Moreno was on hand with the last-ditch sliding tackle.

Simeone responded to the game becoming more open by taking off Carrasco for Matias Kranevitter, while the game’s first substitute, Torres, chipped Zoet only to see the ball land on the roof of the net.

Both teams started to tire as the final 10 minutes of regular time approached, a well-struck Griezmann effort smothered by Zoet the exception as Atleti poured crosses into the PSV box, all of which were dealt with.

The first chance of extra time came when Lucas Hernandez met a corner but his header was over the bar, while fine work by Saul Niguez teed up Griezmann but his effort was easy for Zoet.

Gabi, having wasted a free kick shortly before the full time whistle, did similar from a good position in extra time as Atleti tired and PSV played for penalties.

De Jong was removed with minutes to go, PSV choosing to do without their captain and top scorer in the penalty shootout, and it was his replacement Narsingh who eventually missed, allowing Juanfran to settle an epic tie.

Atletico Madrid 0-0 PSV Eindhoven [0-0 on aggregate]

Atletico win 8-7 on penalties

Atletico Madrid: Oblak; Juanfran, Gimenez, Godin (Lucas 89), Filipe; Koke, Gabi, Augusto (Torres 56), Saul; Carrasco (Kranevitter 75), Griezmann

PSV Eindhoven: Zoet; Arias, Bruma, Isimat-Marin, Moreno, Willems (Brenet 75); Guardado, Propper, Van Ginkel; De Jong (Narsingh 118), Locadia (Lestienne 87)

Referee: Clattenburg [ENG]

Tags PSV Eindhoven