The Spanish Football Federation’s Appeals Committee will on Thursday make a decision regarding Real Madrid’s expulsion from the Copa del Rey.
Los Blancos were last week kicked out of the tournament for fielding Denis Cheryshev against Cadiz, when the Russia international had a one-match suspension to serve in the competition, left over from last season, when he was on loan at Villarreal.
Madrid were confirmed as out of the Cup shortly after but lodged an immediate appeal, arguing that as neither they nor Cheryshev were notified of the suspension, it is null and void.
AS notes judge Francisco Rubio didn’t agree with Madrid’s claim and the Federation have not assigned any officials for the second leg, which was due to be played next week.
Rubio described Madrid’s case as ‘forced and feeble’ and castigated the club for a lack of ‘diligence’ in not being fully appraised of their players’ availability.
Their appeal was found to be based on a ‘biased and partial interpretation of Article 41,’ the clause that says suspensions have to be told to club and player, and Rubio saw an ‘agonising effort’ to ‘deny the evidence.’
Madrid are however proceeding as if they remain in the Copa, and have listed the visit of Cadiz as a fixture on their official website.
It has also been suggested that Madrid are willing to take their case to the Court of Arbitration for Sport if need be.
Madrid are reportedly relying on the case of Lorca and goalkeeper Laura Gallego, who was sent off in a match in September 2014 and played in the next fixture after the notification of the suspension never arrived. As a result, the club’s appeal was successful.
A Madrid appeal could force the return leg to be played via an injunction, preventing their immediate expulsion. The club could also choose to accept the decision if it goes against them, or they may be successful in their appeal, AS laying out the three possible next steps.