Carlo Ancelotti has confirmed that he will take a sabbatical if he parts company with Real Madrid this summer.
Milan President Silvio Berlusconi recently claimed he would bring the Coach back to San Siro on the basis that he was dismissed from his post by Los Blancos, but the 54-year-old appeared to decline his former employer’s advances.
“I won’t say anything more about my future apart from what I said on [Friday],” he said at a Press conference after Madrid’s 7-3 triumph over Getafe in Saturday’s final La Liga match of the season.
“I still have to wait. I think I’ll discuss my future with the club next week. It’s the same as [Friday].
“I spoke to the players because it was the last game. I’ve thanked them for their efforts through the good and bad times in the season.
“My future is clear in my head. Either I’ll stay here or take a year out.
“I didn’t like being in the stands. I would’ve liked to end the season in the dugout.
“The fans showed me a lot of affection. We ended up with 92 points, which wasn’t small but not enough to win [the title].
“I have no news from the club. I’ll see them on Monday or Tuesday.
“In the end, the fans understood how important [Iker] Casillas was to the club. It was better late than never.
“Yes [I imagined this situation to be the case] because this is football. Madrid are demanding and it’s normal to be questioned as part of a season that did not go well.
“It’s part of my job. Last year we won La Decima and this year it was something else.
“We can’t forget what happened last year and earlier in the season, but [primarily] we have to assess everything that’s happened this season.
“[On analysing the season], we’ve said many times that we lost three very important players to injury in January and February. There we lost points against Villarreal and Athletic [Bilbao].
“I don’t think anyone’s in any hurry. The club will make the right decision. I’m waiting but I’m in no hurry.
“I last spoke to [Florentino Perez] on Tuesday because we had a promotional event.
“[I didn’t appeal my touchline ban] because it looked like we weren’t going to win anything, even with my presence. The appeal wasn’t necessary.
“My message to the players is that they showed professionalism and sincerity until the end of the season. They all made a great effort.
“I want to stay [here]. If they tell me I must go then I won’t be happy, but in my line of work these things happen and it wouldn’t be the first time.
“Neither will it be the last time I might get fired again, but I still have confidence in my work.
“I appreciate [Berlusconi’s claims], but I’ll take time off if I don’t continue [at Madrid].”