Fernandez pays price for Depor loss

Victor Fernandez paid the price for Deportivo la Coruna’s 1-1 home draw with Cordoba on Wednesday and was dismissed immediately after the game.

The Depor boss was informed earlier in the week that failure to beat La Liga’s bottom club would likely lead to his exit, with the Galicians perched just one point above the relegation zone, and the club were true to their word.

However, the 54-year-old told reporters at the post-match Press conference that he leaves Riazor with his head held high.

“I got the call from the President on Monday and it’s been confirmed this is my last game,” said Fernandez.

“I’ve tried with all my might and I go out with my head held high, although some people think otherwise.

“I leave with an inner peace, although with the dissatisfaction that we are in reach of safety and should have had four or five points more.

“I’ve not had feelings like this for players in a dressing room for a while and I tried to be strong when three or four of them came to me crying.

“It was very difficult from the start and a fight against everything. I tried to keep things inside and away from the players, but there comes a time when they know.

“The most frequent questions in the Press conferences have been about me and I thank you all for that.”

Fernandez said he holds no ill-will towards club President Tino Fernandez.

“He is a really nice guy and has a big task ahead of him. I’m not going to blame anybody and if there is one person that needs some affection in this city then it’s him.

“I was told I had to win this game and I didn’t do that, so I was liable for what happened,” he concluded.

Former Depor midfielder Victor Sanchez is now expected to take over at Balaidos for the remainder of the season.

Tags Deportivo Victor Fernandez