Valencia forward Jonas has told Marca he hopes to break the 20-goal barrier in all competitions next season.
The 28-year-old Brazilian international, signed from Gremio for €1.3m in January 2011, completed his first full season with Los Che last term and was the club’s second highest goalscorer after Roberto Soldado, netting 19 times, including 10 in La Liga.
“I hope the goals continue to come after August 19 but it’s always good to score,” declared the striker, who has already been on target twice in this summer’s opening two pre-season friendlies.
“It’s important for a striker to continue hitting the back of the net and I hope Soldado and the other forwards can do the same.
“In my case I want these to be the first of many, especially in the important matches.”
However, he insists he does not have a set target before the start of the 2012-13 campaign.
“I do not have a figure in my head,” he claims. “I want to score more than last year and if I get 20 goals then that would be good, but I also want to have more assists to my name after the 12 or 13 last term, so I need to improve on two fronts.”
New Valencia boss Mauricio Pellegrino is believed to have been searching for an extra striker in recent weeks, but Jonas says that if anybody does arrive he will be welcome at the club.
“We have quality players up front but if anyone else comes in to help us then they will be well received.”