NEWS
Wednesday April 17 2013
‘Xabi expects offer’ but…

Xabi Alonso’s father says that the Real Madrid man expects to renew his contract soon, but reports indicate he will wait until November either way.

The midfielder was reported late last year as in ‘advanced talks’ over extending his current deal beyond its June 2014 expiry, before he contradicted those claims later on.

It is reported that so far he has refused to answer Madrid’s initial offer of a new deal put on the table last autumn, but Alonso’s father sees this situation as resolving shortly.

“Xabi expects developments take the decision to renew,” Periko Alonso told Marca this week.

However, Cadena SER understand that the 31-year-old will only renew come November, when into next season he will assess whether he still holds a regular starting spot at Los Blancos.

His struggles this term with a groin injury are also thought to have left him concerned about whether or not he can also maintain physical performance to the same level.

Think you know your Spanish football? Share your knowledge, tips and comments to win cash prizes in OLBG's World Cup tipster competition - £10,000 to be won!

FOOTBALL ESPANA RELATED NEWS

TODAY'S FRONT PAGES

Football Italia website