Former Atletico Madrid striker Fernando Torres has confirmed his move to Japanese club Sagan Tosu.
The 34-year-old left his boyhood club Atleti for the second time earlier this month, after netting 120 goals in 347 games across two separate spells.
Reports last month in Diario AS said the striker would be ‘tempted’ by a move to the J-League while the previous week, Cadena Ser indicated Japan was the striker’s preferred destination.
That was followed by a statement from Sagan Tosu – who lie 17th in the 18-team league – who confirmed that the Spaniard had signed a contract until 2020.
However, despite this being quickly deleted, a league follow-up statement added: “Although the signing is not closed, we had prepared a draft due to its likelihood.”
Former Barcelona captain Andres Iniesta has also moved to Japan to join Vissel Kobe, while Marca say Torres will earn approximately €80k per week following the move.
“Sagan Tosu were one of the first clubs to show interest in me,” Torres said upon the announcement on Tuesday morning.
“I appreciate their persistence and how they convinced me to join them with their sporting, personal and cultural project.”