Spain have confirmed Vicente del Bosque’s exit as Coach, but the 65-year-old will stay on in another position with the country’s football federation.
Del Bosque’s departure had been in the public domain since last week as he told a Spanish radio station of his intentions to quit, and he is set to move upstairs into a new role.
“President of the RFEF, Angel Maria Villar, and the national-team Coach, Vicente del Bosque, held a meeting in Madrid, in which the Coach told the President today, on July 4, that his idea was to no longer lead the National team,” read a statement on the national team’s official website.
“Angel Maria Villar, who considers Vicente del Bosque to be ‘part of Spanish football’s heritage’, then offered him the possibility of continuing in the Federation, to which he answered affirmatively. This offer will materialise in the coming weeks.”
The former Real Madrid boss succeeded Luis Aragones after Euro 2008 and guided La Roja to back-to-back triumphs at the 2010 World Cup and Euro 2012.
However, failure to qualify from the group stage at the 2014 World Cup was followed by a last-16 exit at Euro 2016 last Monday.