Vicente Del Bosque held an impromptu Press conference as the Spain squad flew to Madrid from Belgium and said they had no problems while in the country.
Tuesday night’s friendly between La Roja and the Red Devils was on Monday called off after Belgium’s terror threat level was raised.
Belgian nationals are believed to have been behind the terrorist attacks in France on Friday and it was recommended that the game not go ahead for security reasons.
“We don’t quite know what it was called off, but we can suppose,” Del Bosque said, AS reports, speaking from the back of the aeroplane bound for Madrid.
“We were looking forward to the match, it was the last of the year and it was convenient to play, but the security motivations were strong.
“It wasn’t to be and it’s best to return to Madrid as soon as possible and for the players to re-join their clubs.”
Spain had travelled to Belgium following the attacks in Paris and Del Bosque said they encountered no issues during their stay.
“We haven’t been afraid at all. We were calm at the hotel. There were no problems,” he revealed.
“We tried to return as soon as possible, but it wasn’t easily done.
“Training was calm, we prepared for the game as any other, but the authorities felt they couldn’t guarantee the safety of all the players and the fans.”
Del Bosque was asked about the staging of Euro 2016 in France, and if it should still go ahead considering the events of last week.
“We’re here for sport and to entertain people. The games should be held as normal,” he replied.
“I hope Euro 2016 is held in France and within normal limits.”