Barca still angry at Mourinho pardon

Barcelona are still furious at the quashing of Jose Mourinho’s two-match ban for poking Tito Vilanova in the eye, reports El Economista.

The Catalans feel the Spanish Football Federation’s (RFEF) decision to grant a general amnesty to sanctioned players and coaches – Vilanova also had his one-match ban rescinded – damages the image of Spanish football and encourages more assaults.

“We are angry and do not agree with the RFEF’s decision,” Barcelona spokesperson Toni Freixa told a Press conference after a meeting of the club’s board on Wednesday evening.

“We believe that an act of aggression like that of Mourinho’s cannot go unpunished as it was treacherous, very serious and witnessed by the whole world.”

Freixa said that the club had originally intended to file a formal complaint against Mourinho but decided it was the RFEF that should handle the case after talking to players and coaching staff.

Now, after Mourinho’s let-off, Barca have decided they would like to see a working party set up to examine the RFEF’s disciplinary system and in particular the actions of its President, Angel Maria Villar.

“We need regulations to prevent things like this happening again because the image this portrays is serious for Spanish football,” declared Freixa.

“We expect a positive response. If not we will seek other options. The judicial process is open to everyone although this is not our customary procedure.”

Mourinho, a former Barcelona assistant Coach, was initially suspended after poking his finger in Vilanova’s eye towards the end of a Supercopa de Espana clash between Barca and Real Madrid last year.

Tags mourinho