NEWS
Thursday July 11 2019
Barcelona discard signing defender Filipe Luis

Barcelona have discarded the signing of full-back Filipe Luis on a free transfer this summer, according to El Mundo Deportivo.

The Brazilian is said to be increasingly likely to sign a new one-year contract at Atletico Madrid, despite currently being a free agent.

This week, Marca stated that Atleti is the defender’s ‘Plan A’ and he will continue talks over a new deal following the completion of the Copa America.

The 33-year-old had been extensively linked with a summer move to Barcelona, where it was reported he could provide back-up to first-choice Jordi Alba in the position.

Brazilian club Flamengo have also been heavily linked while Turkish giants Fenerbahce have also been mentioned with a deal.

Atleti are said to have tabled a one-year extension to the experienced defender’s deal, despite already having landed Renan Lodi in his position.

The left-back started his career at Brazilian side Figueirense before moving to European football with a switch to Ajax in 2004 and has also enjoyed stints at Deportivo La Coruna and Chelsea.

Separate reports from his native country confirms an approach from the Catalan giants while Borussia Dortmund are also said to hold an interest in a potential move.

Football Italia website