Dos Santos: Sevilla did not want me

Real Mallorca striker Giovani dos Santos feels Sevilla’s pursuit of him last year was called off because they did not want him.

The 23-year-old is in boss Joaquin Caparros’ squad for Monday night’s game at the Sanchez Pizjuan, the first time he has been selected since his summer signing from Tottenham Hotspur due to a thigh injury.

The Mexican international, who picked up Olympic gold at London 2012, had been linked with a move to Sevilla for the previous 12 months but thinks a deal was not struck because the Andalusians did not want him 100 per cent.

“If Sevilla had wanted me then they would have signed me. I honestly believe that they did not want me,” he told ABC Sevilla.

“The best example of that is that I am now with Mallorca. I spent a lot of time waiting for Sevilla but it came to nothing.,

“They were never 100 per cent clear with me. I spoke to [director of football] Monchi and he told me not to worry, everything would be sorted out, and it was like that until the final day of the transfer market.

“I had other offers, some from Spanish clubs, but had decided I was going to play for Sevilla. I trusted them to sort the situation out and I was counting on them, but in the end they kept me waiting and discarded me,” he lamented.

Tags Dos Santos