Roberto Soldado has confirmed today that he turned down advances from Tottenham Hotspur in favour of staying with Valencia.
The 27-year-old, who has previously committed his future to Los Che despite interest from reported clubs, confirmed today that rumours of an offer from Premier League side Spurs were not wide of the mark.
The London side are understood to have had a €25m offer turned down by President Manuel Llorente earlier this summer.
Whilst they are believed to be preparing to return with a €30m bid, which would trigger the player’s release clause, Soldado has moved to make clear that if Los Che don’t want to sell him, then he doesn’t want to leave.
“I knew of their interest in signing me,” the forward told Superdeporte today.
“They spoke to my representatives and presented the offer to the club and, despite the economic situation, they said they did not want to sell.
“I am contracted until 2017 here and it is my wish and hopefully reality to fulfil this contract.
“Valencia wants to continue this project with me and I want to fulfil my contract.”
Soldado is a doubt for Valencia’s first game of the season, a trip to the Santiago Bernabeu to face Real Madrid.
“I have had two days now training at 100 per cent and if nothing happens between now and Sunday then I will be available to play at the Bernabeu.
“We hope to be ready even though the opponent is going to be very strong, even stronger than last year. But we should be able to compete with them.”