NEWS
Friday June 17 2016
Atleti keen on Higuain

Atletico Madrid boss Diego Simeone is eager to bring Napoli striker Gonzalo Higuain back to the Spanish capital.

The Italians signed the 28-year-old, nicknamed ‘El Pipita’, from Real Madrid in summer 2013 for a reported €37m, and he has responded with 71 goals from 104 League appearances.

However, Marca reports that Simeone has made him his first choice target for the summer and conveyed his wishes to chief executive Miguel Angel Gil Marin when the pair met in Buenos Aires this week.

NEWS
Tuesday August 19 2014
Higuain: We have to win in Bilbao

Gonzalo Higuain has insisted that Napoli have no option but to beat Athletic Bilbao next week.

The Italian outfit drew 1-1 with Los Leones in Naples this evening, and the striker has admitted that his side have to go to San Mames and win now.

“The truth is I don’t feel like talking right now. I want to rest and focus on the next game,” he told Sky Sport Italia.

“Napoli have to play in the Champions League and we’ll have to prepare well for the next match.

NEWS
Saturday July 5 2014
Higuain aiming for the final

Gonzalo Higuain is now aiming for a place in the final after Argentina beat Belgium to book their spot in the last four.

The Napoli man scored the only goal of the game as the Albicelestes overcame Marc Wilmots’ side 1-0 in Brasilia.

“This group deserves this,” he told reporters after the match.

“I could see that the ball was coming my way, and I managed to hit it sweetly at the most important moment.

“Now we are in to the semi-final, but we have to aim for the final.”

NEWS
Saturday June 28 2014
Higuain unaware of Barca rumours

Gonzalo Higuain has claimed that he knows nothing of the speculation linking him with a switch from Napoli to Barcelona.

The forward only joined the Italian side last summer and enjoyed an excellent first season in Serie A, prompting rumours the Catalan giants may make an offer for him.

“Me to Barcelona? I don’t know anything about it and I have nothing to say,”Higuain told a Press conference at Argentina’s World Cup base.

“Now I’m only thinking about the World Cup.”

NEWS
Monday January 13 2014
Higuain denies Bernabeu jibe

Gonzalo Higuain has denied allegations that he took a jibe at the Real Madrid fans in an interview with an Italian magazine.

The striker, who moved from Los Blancos to Napoli in the summer is claimed to have told Sportsweek: “At the Bernabéu they never dedicated a song to me. Every time they sing my name at the San Paolo, it reverberates [around the stadium] like thunder.”

However, the Argentina international took to Twitter to deny those remarks.

NEWS
Tuesday November 5 2013
Higuain ‘needed change of scenery’

Gonzalo Higuain has stated that he ‘needed a change of scenery’ in leaving Real Madrid where he ‘constantly had to prove something’ he had ‘already shown’.

The Argentine moved across to Napoli in the summer in a €37m deal, after seven years in the capital.

“It was not an easy decision, it was one that I had already considered,” mused Higuain to Cadena Cope, in reference to first considering his Madrid future at the end of the 2011-12 season.

NEWS
Tuesday October 22 2013
‘Higuain almost joined Juve, but…’

FIFA agent Ernesto Bronzetti has confirmed that Gonzalo Higuain was close to a move from Real Madrid to Juventus, but for the cost involved.

The Argentine striker was strongly linked with a move to the Bianconeri at one stage of last summer, before eventually completing a €37m deal to join Napoli.

However, for Madrid’s usual intermediary in dealing with Italian clubs, the striker could have been lining up against Los Blancos this Wednesday night in Juve colours, but for the financial demands Florentino Perez placed on the 25-year-old’s exit.

NEWS
Tuesday October 8 2013
‘Madrid’s debt is €541m’

A Real Madrid delegate banned from speaking at the members’ assembly says that the club’s accounts are not as assured as Florentino Perez claims.

Carlos Mendoza was reportedly barred from publicly commenting at the recent assembly of the club’s delegate members, but has today spoken to AS to list his view on the club’s accounts.

NEWS
Saturday September 21 2013
'I stayed at Madrid because...'

Angel Di Maria has revealed why he decided to stay at Real Madrid over the summer, despite interest from several European sides.

Tottenham and Arsenal were said to be keen on the Argentine winger, but the former Benfica man opted to stick it out at Santiago Bernabeu.

“It’s a club that always attracts players, but sometimes it forgets about the players it already has,” he told Rock and Pop Radio.

“It has a lot of money and can attract big players every year. I decided to stay because I knew I would have a chance of playing.

NEWS
Friday September 13 2013
‘Martino said he needs defenders’

Daniel Passarella has revealed that Tata Martino believes Barcelona will be looking for defenders in the winter, though not necessarily Eder Alvarez Balanta.

The Catalans have been linked in recent reports with a possible move for River Plate’s highly-rated Colombian defender, having not signed a centre-back during the recent summer transfer window.

River’s President Passarella has indicated that whilst he expects Barca to make a move for a centre-back in the midseason, he does not think it will necessarily be for his team’s 20-year-old.

Football Italia website