Estadio Benito Villamarin can accommodate 56,500 spectators and was opened in 1929 under the name Estadio de Heliopolis.
The stadium was gradually developed between 1958 and 1982, with some major alterations for the 1982 World Cup when it hosted two group matches. It was further remodelled in 2000, raising the capacity by 10,000. Three of its stands have three tiers with the other, behind one goal, consisting of just one.
Between 2000 and 2010 the ground was called Estadio Manuel Ruiz de Lopera, after the club President, but reverted back to its old name in 2010 after a fans’ vote.