NEWS
Thursday November 21 2019
Robert Moreno reject China move following Spain exit

Former Spain boss Robert Moreno has rejected a job offer from China and wants to remain in Spain, according to Cadena Cope.

It comes just three days after the 42-year-old managed La Roja to a 5-0 triumph over Romania in their final European Championships qualifier - his last match at the helm.

Luis Enrique stepped down from the role of Spain boss earlier this year to look after his terminally ill daughter, who tragically then passed away - with Moreno replacing him in the hotseat.

Moreno guided Spain to the European Championships next summer with an unbeaten record - seven wins from nine games - but has now been relieved of his duties by the Spanish FA as Luis Enrique has returned.

Moreno – previous number two at Roma, Celta Vigo and Barcelona – is said to be very well-liked within La Roja’s squad but has repeatedly said he would step down should Enrique feel he could return to the role.

Enrique was appointed national team boss following Spain's exit from the 2018 World Cup in the last 16.

He was in charge for the Nations League, where Spain failed to reach the semi-finals, and remained in place for the beginning of their Euro 2020 qualifying campaign.

However, he temporarily stopped taking charge of matches from March this year before officially stepping down three months later.

Football Italia website