NEWS
Thursday October 10 2019
Real Madrid split: Zidane wants Pogba, Perez wants Eriksen

Real Madrid president Florentino Perez and Coach Zinedine Zidane are at odds over the signing of Christian Eriksen or Paul Pogba, say reports.

ESPN FC claim that the Madrid surpremo believes Eriksen should be Madrid’s first choice for strengthening their midfielder, while Zidane is insistent on instead going all-out to sign his fellow Frenchman Pogba.

The Manchester United midfielder was said to be Madrid’s number one transfer target this summer, but no offers from the Spanish giants was accepted.

It has previously been claimed in Marca that Pogba is willing to ‘follow the Eden Hazard route’ of showing patience and not creating disruption, but being firm in his desire to join Los Blancos.

This summer, United rejected all approaches for the player and value Pogba at €165m (£150m) which Madrid were not be able to finance this summer.

Previous reports in Spain claimed Pogba has a strong desire to win the Ballon d’Or and this would be out of his reach whilst still playing at Old Trafford.

The midfielder returned to United in the summer of 2016 from the Bianconeri in a €95m deal, which was then a world record.

Denmark international Eriksen is out of contract at the North London club in the summer of 2020 and is free to talk to other clubs from January.

The front pages of both Marca and Diario AS were dominated on Thursday by the speculation that Los Blancos will move to sign him this winter.

It is claimed that Los Blancos were interested in the player in 2018 but the valuation of €150m meant their interest was discontinued, but this summer Eriksen was said to be priced below €70m, due to his contractual situation.

It had been reported that Spurs supremo Daniel Levy may allow the club to cash-in on the midfielder this summer, to provide funds for squad reinvestment, but no move came to fruition.

Cadena Cope have also had their say - stating that Eriksen is an option but his transfer would be with a view to the 2020/21 campaign, and he will only be signed in January should a player leave the club.

A report in Diario AS in June claimed that there was a ‘verbal agreement’ between the former Ajax playmaker and Madrid.

Football Italia website