NEWS
Thursday October 3 2019
Mariano Diaz set for Real Madrid exit

Real Madrid are keen to offload striker Mariano Diaz - who has yet to feature this season - in January, according to Marca.

The report claims that his sale will allow Madrid to chase other targets - including Christian Eriksen and Donny van de Beek - although the player is happy with his non-playing role at the club.

Multiple reports in Spain had linked Mariano with an exit from Los Blancos this summer with Real Betis and Monaco among the clubs strongly rumoured to be interested, while El Mundo Deportivo also outlined interest from Milan.

Marseille are also said to hold an interest in the player while Espanyol - who have lost Borja Iglesias - and Valencia, who had feared Rodrigo Moreno would depart, are also said to be keen.

Mariano, 25, netted twice in Madrid’s 3-2 win over Villarreal in May in what was only his third league start of that campaign - whilst he is thought to be a peripheral figure again this season - with Karim Benzema and Luka Jovic as the established first choice strikers.

It is said that the biggest stumbling block with regards to any move would be the striker’s €5m annual wage.

The Dominican forward had previously netted just two goals across all competitions with game-time limited and suffering a series of hamstring injuries.

Football Italia website