Real Madrid have missed out on the signing of Manchester United midfielder Paul Pogba, leavin Zinedine Zidane disappointed, reports Diario AS.
It followed a report on Monday in The Times that Madrid made an offer of €30m for the France international alongside including their playmaker James Rodriguez, who they wish to sell.
However, United rejected the offer and value Pogba at €165m (£150m) which Madrid do not appear to be able to finance this summer, while the British transfer window has now closed.
Diario AS led its Monday coverage by suggesting that Madrid were desperately trying to sell James, Mariano Diaz and Gareth Bale in order to raise the funds needed for the Frenchman.
United boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer was bullish on Pogba’s future at Old Trafford: “I have no doubt that Pogba will remain at Manchester United this season.”
The France international is said to be keen to complete the deal as soon as possible so that the deal does not become a saga, as his move to United from Juve in 2016 became.
He is said to be unhappy with not being the top earner at Old Trafford following the deal concluded for Alexis Sanchez from Arsenal last year.
Previous reports in Spain claimed Pogba has a strong desire to win the Ballon d’Or and this would be out of his reach whilst still playing at Old Trafford.
The midfielder returned to United in the summer of 2016 from the Bianconeri in a €95m deal, which was then a world record.