NEWS
Wednesday August 7 2019
Tottenham make renewed bid for Real Betis midfielder Giovani Lo Celso

Tottenham have made a renewed bid for Real Betis midfielder Giovani Lo Celso after talks with Philippe Coutinho broke down, say reports.

The Premier League transfer window closes on 8 August and Betis are adamant that their asking price for the Argentine international stands at a minimum of €70m.

Spurs had seen a previous offer of €55m for the player rejected, despite reports that a deal had been struck for €52m with a further €8m in variables

ABC de Sevilla say the North London club have now contacted Betis with an improved bid in the hope of breaking a deadlock in the discussions while Mucho Deporte confirm the claims.

Spurs had been in negotiations to sign Barcelona playmaker Philippe Coutinho on a loan deal but the same reports say that this has now broken down and they have returned for Lo Celso.

It had previously been claimed by ABC de Sevilla that the midfielder, who has returned to first-team training with Betis, has been offered ‘a dizzying economic offer’ by Spurs, but no transfer has yet been agreed.

It is said that the Argentine is happy at the club and in the city of Seville but he has told Betis he would like a move to further his sporting career and opportunities.

The central midfielder starred for the club last season and was one of the standout players in the Spanish topflight, leading to links with a series of top clubs.

PSG would retain 20% of any future deal for the midfielder but his release clause of €100m gives Betis a strong position in any negotiation.

Despite missing out on European football, their idea is to retain the player for one more season but their hand may be forced by an outlandish fee.

Football Italia website