NEWS
Friday August 2 2019
Juanfran set for Chicago Fire after Atletico Madrid exit

Former Atletico Madrid defender Juanfran Torres is set to move to MLS club Chicago Fire as a free agent, report Marca.

Diario AS said last month that Sao Paulo and Corinthians are both actively trying to sign the experienced right-back, who is among a glut of departures from Atleti, but Sao Paulo have since signed Dani Alves.

“I would not mind playing the Copa Libertadores,” Juanfran was cited as saying by the report.

“There are situations that come and surprise you. From Brazil I have a situation that may be good for me, I am evaluating it.”

The 34-year-old, who began his career at Real Madrid, has amassed over 300 appearances for Los Rojiblancos since a January 2011 move from Osasuna.

Juanfran has still maintained his level of performance over recent years despite his age and was selected at right-back across 29 matches this campaign.

During his stint with Atleti the defender has won a variety of trophies including a league title, two Europa League titles, two European Super Cups, a Copa del Rey and a Spanish Supercopa, alongside participating in two Champions League finals.

He is the latest defender to leave the club this summer, after Bayern Munich signed Lucas Hernandez in an €80m deal and Diego Godin decided to leave - reportedly to join Inter.

Filipe Luis - another full-back - has left, along with Antoine Griezmann and Rodri, while Juanfran is said to have a new one-year offer on the table from Atleti but he did not want to take it up.

Football Italia website