NEWS
Tuesday July 9 2019
Atletico Madrid rule out Manchester City's Nicolas Otamendi, look to Daley Blind

Atletico Madrid will not sign Manchester City defender Nicolas Otamendi but instead are considering Daley Blind of Ajax, say reports.

El Mundo Deportivo claim the Dutch international - formerly of Manchester United - is Atleti’s ‘Plan B’ after opting against signing Espanyol’s Mario Hermoso, who has a €40m release clause.

Los Rojiblancos sporting director Andrea Berta was said to have been monitoring a number of defenders and is already putting the groundwork in place should a deal for Blind come to fruition.

Blind is said to be an ideal fit as he would be able to cover both the left-back and centre-half positions, in a similar role to Lucas Hernandez - who joined Bayern Munich in an €80m deal.

Otamendi is viewed differently with his strengths being his aerial ability and strength and had been viewed as more of a replacement for outgoing captain Diego Godin.

The Argentine defender joined City from Valencia in the summer of 2015 for €45m and has helped the club to two league titles since but is said to be available for transfer this summer.

Football Italia website