NEWS
Friday June 28 2019
Atletico Madrid confirm signing of defender Renan Lodi

Atletico Madrid have reached an agreement in principle with Athletico Paranaense for the transfer of defender Renan Lodi.

The club have already seen offers of €18m and €21m turned down for the full-back but transfer chief Andrea Bertra recently travelled to Brazil to conclude a deal.

The 21-year-old has made 70 first-team appearances for the Brazilian club and helped his side to the Sudamericana title last year, with the Atleti statement on the agreement not including a price but it is thought to be €25m.

The report claims Atleti have identified the left-back to bolster their defence with a series of first-team defenders set to exit the club this summer.

“He is very sad and feels very sorry because, as it seems that there is a sale that can happen at any moment, his desire to play is gigantic,” explained Paranaense boss Tiago Nunes in previous quotes cited by Diario AS.

“His right to play is being cancelled and perhaps a farewell too.”

Lucas Hernandez’s €80m switch to Bayern Munich has already been confirmed while a host of others are out of contract including Juanfran Torres, Diego Godin and Filipe Luis.

In August 2018, Lodi extended his contract at Paranaense until the summer of 2022 and it is claimed his asking price by the club is a minimum of €20m.

Real Madrid, Juventus, Shakhtar Donestk and Lille have all been directly linked to the defender, who is said to be on the radar of the Brazilian national team - for whom he has not yet been capped.

Lodi’s release clause is said to stand at €40m but the club will accept offers in the region of €25m.

Football Italia website