NEWS
Thursday June 20 2019
Atletico Madrid want Southampton's Ryan Bertrand

Atletico Madrid will rival Italian club Inter in a pursuit for Southampton full-back Ryan Bertrand, according to reports.

It is said by the Daily Mail that the Saints are will to deal at around £15m (€16.8m) for the left-back but there is a belief that this could be reduced to closer to £10m (€11.2m).

The 29-year-old is said to be an affordable and experienced option for Atleti, who are desperately attempting to reinforce their defence this summer.

Long-standing left-back Filipe Luis has not renewed his contract at the club while the adaptable Lucas Hernandez has also departed, joining Bayern Munich in an €80m agreement.

Diego Godin and Juanfran Torres have also both left at the end of their contract, while the only defensive incoming that has been confirmed is Porto central defender Felipe Monteiro in a €20m deal.

Bertrand has previously won the Champions League with Chelsea in 2012 and has been a fixture in Southampton’s first-team squad across the past five seasons.

The left-back has won 19 caps for England but has fallen behind Matt Targett in the pecking order at St. Mary’s, adds the report.

Football Italia website