NEWS
Wednesday June 5 2019
Man City target Rodri 'asks Atletico Madrid for time and space'

Atletico Madrid midfielder Rodri has ‘asked the club for space and tranquility’ amid a reported €70m bid from Manchester City.

Bayern Munich are also said to hold a strong interest in the central midfielder, whose release clause appears to be attainable for Europe’s leading clubs.

Last month, a report in Diario AS claimed Rodri ‘is closer to playing in Manchester than Madrid next season’ with a deal appearing increasingly likely.

“I asked the club for peace of mind, to give me space,” Rodri told Deportes Cuatro, as cited by El Mundo Deportivo.

“It would be hypocritical for me to say that I can guarantee anything. The only thing I can say is that I have a contract with Atletico Madrid, I have a clause, I have some conditions and today I am happy here.

“I cannot say anything else because I do not know what's going to happen.”

The 22-year-old only joined Atleti from Villarreal in a deal worth an initial €20m plus a further €5m in add-ons but has since been linked with a move away.

Last month, Onda Cero reported that Paris Saint-Germain, Bayern Munich, Manchester United and Manchester City are all keen on his signature.

The Madrid-native has won five international caps for Spain inside the past 12 months and is the latest Atleti midfielder to be linked to City, following on from Saul Niguez and Thomas Partey.

Rodri has been widely tipped to be the successor of Barcelona midfielder Sergio Busquets for the Spanish national team and City boss Pep Guardiola is said to see him in this mould.

Bayern have already raided Atleti to sign Lucas Hernandez in an €80m deal this summer and are prepared to continue investing in their squad.

The midfielder’s contract at Atleti runs through until 2023 but the club would be powerless to prevent him leaving should his €70m release clause be met.

Football Italia website