NEWS
Thursday May 16 2019
Valencia speak to Real Madrid striker Mariano Diaz

Valencia will sign Real Madrid striker Mariano Diaz this summer should they qualify for the Champions League, report Diario AS.

The 25-year-old netted twice in Madrid’s 3-2 win over Villarreal earlier this month in what was only his third league start of the campaign.

The Dominican forward had previously netted just two goals across all competitions with game-time limited and suffering a series of hamstring injuries.

Los Che are said to be keen to bolster their attacking options with the possibility that striker Rodrigo Moreno will leave this summer.

“I do not have a crystal ball but I want to stay here,” Mariano has told official Real Madrid media.

“I am happy and looking to the future with enthusiasm. I hope I can continue to be given the opportunities and I am going to work to receive them.”

Diaz returned to Los Blancos in a €20m deal last summer from Lyon after he spent one season in France, when he netted 18 goals in Ligue 1.

The Barcelona-born forward has found opportunities limited since Julen Lopetegui’s departure in October, failing to dislodge the in-form Karim Benzema from Madrid’s first team all season.

Football Italia website