NEWS
Thursday May 16 2019
Atletico Madrid close to Porto trio Hector Herrera, Alex Telles, Felipe

Atletico Madrid will sign FC Porto trio Hector Herrera (pictured), Alex Telles and Felipe this summer, according to a report in ESPN FC.

Los Rojiblancos need a major overhaul this summer with Diego Godin, Lucas Hernandez and Antoine Griezmann among the stars confirmed to be departing, with more set to follow.

Herrera joined the Portuguese champions from Pachuca in 2013 for €11m but has less than two months remaining on his contract at the Estadio Dragao.

Italian club Inter have also been linked to the Mexican international while Real Madrid were said to be interested in a deal when Julen Lopetegui – who coached him at Porto – was boss earlier this season.

Brazilian defender Felipe is close to completing his third season at the Portuguese giants having signed from Corinthians in the summer of 2016.

The 29-year-old has subsequently earned international recognition with Brazil and has become one of the mainstays in the defence of Porto.

Felipe has been trusted by successive managers Nuno Espirito Santo and Sergio Conceicao and the report claims he is now one of the most sought-after defenders in European football.

Real Madrid were also strongly linked to the Brazilian in the past but it is said that his €50m release clause was sufficient to derail their interest at the time.

However, his contract in Portugal expires in 2021 and the club acknowledge that his market value now falls beneath this.

Telles has also been linked with moves to Real Madrid and Juventus while Porto are said to be adopting a stance that they will not sell the defender for less than his €40m release clause.

Atleti are likely to strengthen in the position this summer following Lucas Hernandez’s €80m move to Bayern Munich while Filipe Luis is also out of contract.

The 26-year-old has previously enjoyed spells at Inter and Galatasaray and last season helped Porto to their first league title since 2013.

Football Italia website