NEWS
Tuesday March 12 2019
Zinedine Zidane tells Real Madrid: "Do not sell Marcelo"

One of Zinedine Zidane’s request upon returning to Real Madrid was that the club abandon any plans to sell defender Marcelo, say reports.

Calciomercato say the Brazilian was left humiliated by his late introduction in the 4-1 home defeat against Ajax in the second leg of their Round of 16 tie last week.

That report claimed the action was ‘the final straw’ for the Brazilian at Madrid, who Diario AS claimed had a training ground bust-up with club captain Sergio Ramos.

This follows on from Marcelo’s fall from prominence in the first-team, replaced by youngster Sergio Reguilon, and leading to strong rumours he would join Juventus this summer.

The 30-year-old has long been linked with a move to the Italian champions, which would see him link up with former Madrid teammate and close friend Cristiano Ronaldo.

The agent of Ajax full-back Nicolas Tagliafico has also claimed Madrid are interested in his client due to their belief Marcelo will leave the club this year.

“It’s said that Tagliafico’s name has been included on Real Madrid’s shortlist because Marcelo will join Juventus,” Tagliafico’s agent Ricardo Schlieper told Radio Rivadavia last week.

Diario AS now cite a report in A Bola Brasil that Zidane has personally requested that Marcelo be retained by the club and is set to reintroduce him into the starting line-up.

Football Italia website