Paris Saint-Germain have joined Real Madrid in the race to sign Manchester City teenager Brahim Diaz, according to Diario AS.
Now 19, Diaz joined City’s youth system from Malaga in 2013 and has been reported to be likely to move on next summer unless he is given more first-team opportunities.
Out of contract next summer, the player has not started a league game for City while 10 of the midfielder’s 13 first-team appearances for the club arrived last season.
Marca’s front page on Friday led with the player’s move to Madrid with a pre-contract supposedly already agreed between representatives, with Los Blancos his preferred destination.
Madrid will reportedly officially open negotiations with the player in January – when he is free to talk to other clubs due to being in the last six months of his contract in England.
The Spain Under-21’s international’s agent is Pere Guardiola – brother of City boss Pep – and he is said to be attempting to persuade the player to reconsider his options.
Diaz netted twice in a rare start during a 2-0 League Cup victory over Fulham earlier this month but fresh reports say he is intent on leaving the English champions next summer.
In summer, Diaz told El Mundo Deportivo: “My ambition is to play as much as I can, the more minutes you get the better you will be.”
City boss Guardiola said after that victory over Fulham: “Brahim knows what we want for all of our young players.
“We want to protect them and to help them - that goes for him all of the players in the academy. We want him but it does not depend on us but it is up to the agent, to the player, to the family.”