NEWS
Wednesday August 8 2018
Madrid to offer Modric new deal

Real Madrid will offer star midfielder Luka Modric a new contract to ward off interest from Inter, according to reports in the Spanish press.

Marca say the Croatian, who returns to the European champions on Wednesday following his World Cup exploits, will be offered the new deal in a meeting with club president Florentino Perez.

El Mundo reported on Tuesday that the 32-year-old was likely to tell the club he wishes to leave after being offered a four-year deal at Italian giants Inter.

Madrid have already lost star forward Cristiano Ronaldo this summer and Modric is said to have a €750m release clause at the Bernabeu, rendering an exit almost impossible.

Earlier this week, Diario AS cited Corriere dello Sport as reporting the Nerazzurri will offer the Croatian a four-year deal before a pre-planned move to Jiangsu Suning to end his career.

The Chinese club’s owners Suning Holdings Group hold a majority share in the Italian giants and the monetary aspect of the deal may approve to the player.

Modric reportedly has a ‘gentleman’s agreement’ with Florentino Perez that he can leave Madrid when he wishes, while Inter are said to have tabled a €15m loan bid before a further €20m in a permanent deal.

Celebrating his 33rd birthday next month, the midfielder has enjoyed a magnificent few months, guiding Madrid to a third consecutive Champions League title and Croatia to their first ever World Cup final.

The maestro won the World Cup’s Golden Ball award for best player and is understood to be open to a move to the Milanese giants.

The Nerazzurri are back in the Champions League for the first time in six years and have prioritised a move for the former Dinamo Zagreb and Tottenham man.

Modric’s international teammate Sime Vrsaljko has just joined Inter on loan from Atletico Madrid while Marcelo Brozovic and Ivan Perisic also play for the club.

See the latest La Liga predictions and betting tips with Eurotips.co.uk

Football Italia website