NEWS
Thursday May 10 2018
Athletic and Ziganda to part company

Jose Angel Ziganda has been told officially by Athletic Bilbao that he will not be in charge for next season.

The 51-year-old still has one year left on his contract with the Basques but the club has decided to dispense with his services, along with his backroom staff, with just two games remaining against Alaves and Espanyol following a disappointing season.

At the end of last Saturday’s game against Real Betis, the former Bilbao striker said publicly that “I have not talked about my future” with Athletic. Four days later, however, the club’s hierarchy has communicated to Ziganda that his stint on the San Mames bench ends once this season finishes.

Athletic have also decided to terminate the employment of his assistants: second Coach Bingen Arostegi; goalkeeping Coach Imanol Etxeberria and physical trainer Iban Urkiza, despite all of them having contracts until June 30, 2019.

Ziganda was appointed Los Leones’ boss last summer when he succeeded Barcelona-bound Ernesto Valverde after previously being in charge of the club’s second string.

Football Italia website