NEWS
Friday August 19 2016
‘Costa Atleti’s first choice, not Gameiro’

Atletico Madrid boss Diego Simeone has confessed that Diego Costa, not Kevin Gameiro, was the club’s primary striking target prior to the latter’s arrival.

Costa had been heavily tipped for a second spell with Atleti after Chelsea manager Antonio Conte appeared to confirm reports of the striker’s desire to move, but Simeone explained how a lack of progress in negotiations forced his club to consider Gameiro, whom they ultimately signed.

“Gameiro was our second choice,” the Coach told Movistar+.

“I wanted to be clear [with Gameiro]. Yes, the club worked on the possibility that Diego Costa would come [back], but then those possibilities didn’t progress.

“We were always very clear with Gameiro, always. When I spoke to him over the phone, I told him that we’d sought the position of being able to count on Costa but that out of the alternatives I’d given the club, I bet on him entirely and that we wanted him to be the forward to join us this [season].”

Football Italia website