NEWS
Saturday May 30 2015
Marcelo out of Copa America

Real Madrid left-back Marcelo will not represent Brazil at Copa America this summer after being sent home with a back injury.

The 27-year-old had only just broken back into the Selecao after he was initially dropped by incoming Coach Carlos Dunga in the wake of their country’s humiliating semi-final exit from the 2014 World Cup semi-finals.

However, Brazil doctor Rodrigo Lasmar has now confirmed that the defender will not be participating in Chile next month due to a “severe pain in his lower back”.

“We were told he was injured jumping and had been suffering from a severe pain in his lower back,” he told Globo Esporte.

“He did some tests and was due to start start training with us on Monday.

“He had roughly three weeks of training, but now he can’t walk. There was no other solution [than him pulling out].”

Marcelo joins Diego Alves in missing the tournament through injury, the goalkeeper having sustained an ACL tear in Valencia’s last match of the season against Almeria.

Marcelo’s place has since been filled by Internacional rookie Geferson, who will now act as the deputy to current first choice and former Atletico Madrid man Filipe Luis.

See the latest La Liga predictions and betting tips with Eurotips.co.uk

Football Italia website