There was much talk this week about the magic of the cup and the possibility for there to be some upsets in this week’s Copa del Rey action across Spain.
The competition is actually designed to facilitate upsets, with minnows getting drawn against the top dogs from the first round and getting home advantage.
It didn’t, however, work out that way. All six Primera teams advanced this evening with the minimum of fuss. Outside of the elite there also wasn’t much surprise.
There were, however, a plethora of intriguing clashes all over Spain, from the depths of Andalusia to the northernmost points of the Basque Country. The Copa del Rey is genuinely a true reflection of Spanish football.
- CD Marino 0-1 UD Cornella
- Deportivo La Coruna 1-0 CD El Ejido 2012
- Navalcarnero 1-0 CD Badajoz
- CD Teruel 2-3 Rayo Vallecano
- Gimnastica Segoviana 0-2 Girona
- Leonesa 1-0 Villanovense
- U. Mutilvera 1-0 Racing Santander
- UD Ibiza 2-1 Compostela
- Pena Dep. Santa Eulalia 4-1 SD Tarazona
- CD Varea 0-4 Las Palmas
- Pontvedra 2-1 Cartagena
- Alcoyano 4-1 CD Laredo
- Extremadura 1-2 Socuellamos
Featured image courtesy of SCR Pena Deportiva.