Perez: Ancelotti staying at Real Madrid

Real Madrid President Florentino Perez has dismissed speculation Carlo Ancelotti’s position as Coach is under threat and fought back against negative Press reports.

Perez also took repeated swipes at the media for publishing stories alleging unhappiness at the club, gossip which he insists has no basis in fact. Perez went so far as to accuse AS of ‘telling lies’ about him.

It was on Thursday claimed by Marca that a damaging defeat in the Clasico on March 22 could spell the end for the Italian trainer as Madrid endure a run of uncertain form, losing 4-3 at home to Schalke in the Champions League Round of 16 second leg, but progressing to the next stage on aggregate.

Barca recently knocked Madrid off the top of La Liga but Perez, speaking at a specially arranged Press conference, spoke in support of Ancelotti and called for unity.

“The attacks on our Coach and on our players are disproportionate,” Perez complained.

“The club is confident in the Coach and the players. Whatever happens in the coming days, Ancelotti will remain the Coach of Real Madrid.

“I request the support and affection of all the fans to our players and our Coach. I think some fans have been confused with media reports.

“I won’t go out every day denying reports. The President is proud of the Coach and the players.

“We are always the most critical but we can’t allow information that doesn’t correspond to the truth.

“We’re second in the League and we’re through to the Champions League quarter-finals. That’s not easy. Not everyone does that.

“Whatever happens in Camp Nou won’t change anything. We’ll go with all the enthusiasm and responsibility, trying to win.

“Are we not prepared to win? We are European champions, Cup holders, world champions.

Perez also defended Ancelotti’s first season, pointing out that he did guide the team to victory in the Champions League, the famed Decima, but when asked directly if Ancelotti would remain at Santiago Bernabeu for next season, was a little more circumspect and took aim at the Press

“I’ve said what I’ve said, whether Marca likes it or not,” Perez replied.

“He has the confidence of the board and the President. I don’t have to ratify anything just because Marca orders me to.

“If you want to blame me then that’s ok. But I have a responsibility to say that what [AS] prints about me is a lie. There are attempts to destabilise this institution, Madrid.

“I’m not going to talk about Cristiano [Ronaldo]. I don’t know if it’s true that he’s not going to speak to the Press.

“Order Cristiano to speak? I don’t speak a lot. I only speak today when there is criticism that comes between the fans and the players. I’m sure he’ll speak a lot when we win [the Champions League again].

“The environment of negativity you talk about every day on the radio I don’t think exists.

“We have been playing, until two months ago, wonderful football, for many the best in the history of the club.”

Tags Carlo Ancelotti Florentino Perez