NEWS
Friday December 30 2016
Atleti reject City double bid

Atletico Madrid have turned down a double bid from Manchester City for brothers Lucas and Theo Hernandez, said Atleti chief executive Miguel Angel Gil Marin.

The two had release clauses in their contract which Marin said Pep Guardiola’s club activated but both wished to remain in Madrid and they signed new deals, before Theo went out on loan to Alaves.

“Yes,” said Marin when asked on Onda Cero if City had made offers for the brothers.

"City were prepared to pay the buyout clause in both cases. City would have been able to pay it perfectly and the players could have easily gone.

"Atletico did what it had to do to for them to stay, which was to improve their contracts and to increase their buyout clauses.

"The players, their mother, their agent and the club all agreed that the best action for them and for their development was to stay. They are going to grow in their club which is this one.

"I believe we have made the right decision, with respect to Theo at Alaves and Lucas at Atletico - where they are going to grow is in their club, which is this one."

20-year-old Lucas had been a regular in Los Rojiblancos first-team matchday squad for the past twelve months while Theo, a year younger, has starred for newly-promoted Alaves this campaign.

Betting on La Liga? Bet365 are offering a 100% deposit bonus, up to £200 - find out more

FOOTBALL ESPANA RELATED NEWS

TODAY'S FRONT PAGES

Football Italia website