NEWS
Tuesday June 4 2013
Heynckes to take break

Jupp Heynckes has ruled himself out of the running for the Real Madrid position, confirming today that he is not going to be coaching in 2013-14.

The 68-year-old, who was previously in charge of Madrid in the 1997-98 season, has been suggested as a possible candidate to replace Jose Mourinho, amid Carlo Ancelotti’s struggles to get out of his Paris Saint-Germain contract.

However, after leading Bayern Munich to a League, Cup and Champions League treble this term, Heynckes has clarified his decision to not lead a team next season.

“The last two years have been very intense. I’ve only lived for football and my personal life is very brief,” the Coach told reporters today.

“I have not had a day off in the last year. In recent weeks I’ve noticed that I have reached an age where you can feel the tension.

“I have been in an extreme situation. I told my wife last year that I intended to fulfil my contract until 2013 and then leave.

“I’ve had offers from some rich clubs. But money does not matter. Such clubs do not interest me.

“Madrid are a great club, but Bayern are as big. Today I’m being diplomatic, but it is tough.

“Am I retiring? I personally am not in favour of final decisions. I am 68 and there is life outside the job. I want to enjoy my life.”

Play the world's most challenging Fantasy Football Game by building your Team from Europe's best 5 leagues. Pick your favourite stars including Luis Suarez, Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi to compete against friends.

FOOTBALL ESPANA RELATED NEWS

TODAY'S FRONT PAGES

Football Italia website